| ||Sections || |
| ||User Functions || |
|Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User
| ||Pair Networks || |
Don't want to spend $99 on .Mac services from Apple?
Sign up for an account at Pair Networks, for only $5.95/Month. You'll get email, 100MB of disc space, 100MB traffic per day, and super-reliable service on one of the fastest web hosts around.
Click here to learn more!
|backup_segment 0.2 |
|Jan 07, 2002 03:44AM|
Contributed by: Aarden
Download: Disk IMage
backup_segment is freeware; it is a simple command-line (Terminal) program that segments a hard drive or filesystem into gzipped hfspax files ready for burning to CDs. Backups can be complete or incremental.
Normally it is difficult to create multi-segment compressed hfspax files of a particular size. This program attempts to do this by adding the files one at a time, and closing a segment when the compressed file reaches a certain size. An hfspax archive is like a pax or tar archive, but it maintains file resource forks, creator and file type codes.
Changes since version 0.1:
- Archives are now gzipped hfspax archives, rather than tar archives. This means the HFS+ features such as resource forks and creator and file type codes are preserved. This also means hfspax must be installed for backup_segment to run.
- Segments are divided into subsegments (default 50MB).
- Each filelist.txt file has a second column indicating which subsegment the file can be found in.
- Backups can be interrupted when started with the --interrupt option. Backups are resumed using the --continue option.
- Segments can be written directly to a CD image (or any specified directory) using the --query option.
- A backup copy of the segment is created for recovery from failed CD burns when using the --tee option.
- An audible alert will be played when a segment is completed when using the --warn option.
- Files that are larger than a single segment even when compressed are split into multiple parts.
- When a subsegment exceeds the total segment length, it is automatically regenerated to fit within the segment.
- Visual feedback has been cleaned up to show updates only at certain intervals (approximately every 10MB).
- Many other bug fixes and behind-the-scenes rewrites.
| ||What's Related || |
| ||Story Options || |